Aberdeen Board of Parks and Recreation
Code of Ethics for Coaches & Volunteers
I hereby pledge to live up to my position as a Volunteer and/or Coach by following the Aberdeen Board of Parks and Recreation Code of Ethics for Coaches & Volunteers:
- I will place the emotional and physical well being of my players ahead of a personal desire to win.
- I will treat each player as an individual, remembering the large range of emotional and physical development for the same age group.
- I will do my best to provide a safe playing situation for my players.
- I promise to review and practice basic first aid principles needed to treat injuries of my players.
- I will do my best to organize practices that are fun and challenging for all my players.
- I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all my players.
- I will not cheat or engage in any form of unethical behavior that violates league rules.
- I will provide a sports environment for my team that is free of drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, and I will refrain from their use at all youth sports events.
- I will be knowledgeable in the rules of each sport that I coach, and I will teach these rules to my players.
- I will use those coaching techniques appropriate for all of the skills that I teach.
- I will remember that I am a youth sports coach, and that the game is for children and not adults.
Violations of the Code of Conduct may result in disciplinary action including, but not limited to, the following:
1. Verbal warning.
2. Limited suspension from programs and activities.
3. Permanent expulsion from programs and activities.
An individual may face permanent expulsion without verbal warning and/or suspension if, in the judgment of the Recreation Council, the violation is significant enough to warrant such action.
By completing the registration to become a coach/volunteer, I hereby give my pledge that I will ensure that I will follow the aforementioned Code of Conduct.